Key figures for Greater Lyon
- 3rd metropolis in France
- 1.4 million inhabitants in the metropolis
- 59 towns
- €74.6 million GDP (Metropole in 2018)
The tourism industry in Lyon Metropole
- 34,069 jobs in the tourism industry (2021)
- Offering: 269 accommodation providers
- 18,798 hotel rooms available (2021)
- Guest numbers, 5,8 millions overnights (2021)
- Accommodation: 81% French customers and 18% foreign customers (2021)
Overseas visitors' Top 5 (accommodation)
4. United States
5. United Kingdom
- ONLYLYON Tourist Office: 77% French customers and 23% foreign customers (2021)
Overseas visitors' Top 5
- Rail: 27.4 million passengers in the 3 stations (2021)
- Air: 54% international traffic at Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport, with 4.5 million passengers (2021)
1090 km of cycle paths; 2 cycle routes – ViaRhôna and Voie Bleue.
Business tourism (in 2019)
- 101 events hosted (+66% on previous year), including 34% association congresses, 37% trade shows and fairs, and 29% meetings and conventions.
- 44% association congresses in the sectors of healthcare, medicine and life sciences.
- 43% of meetings and conventions have a regional audience.
- 5 trade shows attracted more than 60% of visitors: Equita, SIRHA, Epoqu'Auto, Solutrans et Pollutec.
Sources: Database of MKG Hospitality - CCI Lyon
Lyon Airport / ONLYLYON Tourism and Conventions / SNCF
Data collected in 2018, 2019 and 2021.
Lyon in the rankings
Lyon came among the top few in several international rankings:
- 2nd ‘Europe’s Leading City Destination 2021 – World Travel Awards
- Leading French city and 7th global city in the GDS-Index
- 2nd French city for congresses in the ICCA 2021 ranking
- Achievement of ISO 20121 certification for ONLYLYON Tourism and Conventions in May 2022
- World's Leading Emerging Tourism Destination’ for 2022 - World Travel Awards
See more rankings: